Food recipes

Friday, March 9, 2018

The light of San Miguel de Allende

Pen, ink and watercolor on Arches Cold Press 8' x 16"

This property was built in the mid 1940's. It used to be in the edge of town back then and now it's surrounded by new condominium buildings. Can you replace the white background of buildings stacked on top of each on the top left of this sketch with top green trees? I asked the owner during a chat we had, while I sketching this view, what she thought about this change. She told me it didn't bothered her that San Miguel de Allende was changing. Actually she likes it. She said the town was boring before, she used to hang out with same group of people, now it is different. She goes along with the changes in town, besides there's nothing she could do to stop it if she wanted. The only thing that she doesn't like is that view, the top buildings in the top left of this sketch. She doesn't like the lack of privacy, people looking her property and her guests. Back to the sketch, there’s no building in white in reality, not one. They are painted in earthy colors but I left them white because I didn't want anything competing with the peach color of this terrace. I tried to reproduce the particular peachy color of the walls with all my watercolor knowledge but it was fruitless (not upon intended). My third mixing color try, turned out orange-ish. I used it. Color doesn't matter anyway. I tried to paint the warmth of the afternoons in San Miguel. Someone asked me how to make a sketch appear like a daylight. It just came to me now how to explain it in words: the darker the shade the brighter the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment