Food recipes

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Corner of Correo St. and Murillo St; San Miguel de Allende

Pen, ink and watercolor on Arches Cold Press 8" x 16"
The row of houses in the streets of San Miguel de Allende are absolutely beautiful. The earthy colors make your feel warm. The stone frames of windows and doors remain original size in many houses, people used to be smaller generations ago. The roofs are decorated with rows of pots that also help preventing people from falling in the streets, you see, even the roof of the houses are used now as terraces to enjoy exteriors and the sun. The ground in this street was rebuilt with flat stones to replace the cobblestones, so dangerous for ankles of visitors who are not used to the old roads. I sketched this view on location in ink. Nobody was waiting for me, so I took my time. Also, more people than usual stopped to ask questions even to browse the sketchbook I was working on (big mistake, I should bring another sketchbook with me to show people, just a small one) I was caught in a long texting conversation with my sister and finally I spent time taking photos for the workshop I'm teaching this summer in Chicago. 
I watercolor it in my mini studio. I didn't know what to do with the cars, at the end I muted them, I wanted the carnival of colors of the houses to stick out. I think that the flat sky, the bright colors of the houses and the pattern of the ground made in slight colors with the help of frisket liquid complement each other very well. At the end I added a woman and a girl, to humanize the sketch. Boom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment