Food recipes

Monday, March 12, 2018

El Charco del Ingenio, Botanical Garden

Sakura IDentipen Dual marker, watercolor on Watercolor Hand.Book Journal 5.25" x 8.25"
We visited El Charco del Ingenio. My husband and I made a previous visit last week to explore it but I came back  today exclusively to sketch the Botanical Garden. Mom died two years ago. She loved outdoors. She loved gardens and had a green thumb. Today was the perfect day to feel her closer to me. 

The cactus in the sketch above is known colloquially as golden barrel or mother-in-law's seat, go figure. The cactus on the right is younger and it was made on location while the one on the left obviously older, I spotted on my way out of the place. It was getting too hot to sketch it so it was done indoors. I used two markers Sakura IDenti.Pen Dual, that I got in the city of Morelia last January, just for a change. I got brown and green knowing these two colors will come handy for my sketches of Mexico.

Pencil and watercolor on Moleskine Watercolour Notebook double 3.5" x 5.5"
I came across with this landscape view above, the garden of the senses. I wanted to show what this place is about and how it looks like, so a landscape format is excellent for this purpose. I'm also exercising for the Urban Sketchers workshop I'll teach this June in Chicago, Join us! 
I did small sketches in my Moleskine 3.5" x 5.5". I knew it would be a sunny and hot day, so if you want to finish, go small. The next sketch is what they call labyrinth of aromas. In our previous visit, my husband and I touched, rubbed and smelled almost all the plants! That's what this little but marvelous garden is for, to awaken your senses. That's why I sketched it.
Pencil and watercolor on Moleskine Watercolour Notebook double 3.5" x 5.5"
Lastly, I made a stop a La Plaza de los Cuatro Vientos, or the Plaza of the Four Winds where there's a scenic overlook. To the right of the sketch is the damn and to the left the canyon. And a little above the canyon you can see part of the town San Miguel de Allende.
Pencil and watercolor on Moleskine Watercolour Notebook double 3.5" x 5.5"
Mom would be very happy to be here. She would be proud of me. Love you mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment