Food recipes

Friday, March 23, 2018

At last, San Miguel de Allende

Pencil and watercolor on Moleskine 3.5" x 5.5 "
As I mentioned in my last post, there was a challenge that I've been postponing. The interior of the stone dome in La Gruta Spa is very steamy due to the thermal water. While I crossed the pool to reach the entrance to the grotto in chest high water with my arms up holding my sketching gear and non waterproof smart phone, I had to deal with so many pairs of bathers' eyes looking at me. I could see their faces wondering what is this woman doing. 
Pen, ink and watercolor on Handbook 8.25" x 5.5"

Once inside the grotto, I realized sketching was more difficult than I thought. The paper of the whole sketchbook was saggy, it started to buckle and the waves of the water were constantly challenging my balance. I put my phone on my shoulder under my bathing suit strap and my small sketching gear bag on the other shoulder. 10 minutes was the most I could handle sketching under those conditions. I got the proportions of big shapes in pencil, I added a little bit of paint to indicate the lighted and shaded areas guessing the colors of my unfamiliar newest palette, big mistake, I couldn't see the colors because of the darkness. Once outside I added detail and more watercolor. 


Well, I did it, I took it out of my chest not with the best results, but I did it. Now the 3 sketches of La Gruta Spa are together in this post. Boom! Done!


Pen, ink and watercolor on Handbook 5.5" x 8.25"

No comments:

Post a Comment