Food recipes

Friday, January 11, 2019

Waist loom

Pen&Ink and watercolor on Pentalic watercolor journal 7" x 10"
In my search for a little bag for coins I found a little interesting textile store. I stopped at the entrance and the woman in the store invited me to come inside. Her name is Rosy. She was weaving on the loom. After some minutes I asked her if I could sketch her, to my surprise she agreed. While I was sketching she told me more about the store and her work. The store belongs to a cooperative community of 60+ women who sell their work in the same store. She lives in a village called Magadalena near Altamirano. She showed me how their work is done by themselves using a waist loom, also called backstrap loom. She placed a belt behind her waist and pull the loom to create tension and wave properly the textile. She didn't follow any pattern, all was been created as she went. I ended up getting the pink little bag in the right of the sketch. If I sketched it I wouldn't make it any justice. It's indeed a beautiful work and she's a beautiful person.  
Click here for the next post about Chiapas.

No comments:

Post a Comment