Food recipes

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Tamales, sketch demo.

I bought some tamales in the municipal market Jose Castillo Tielemans today. It was until I arrived at home that I saw they were so cute, that I decided to sketch them and take some photos of the process...and share it with you of course, ha!

I first drew some big shapes in pencil to place the 4 tamales in my sketchbook.


Then I did the main shapes with pen and ink and drew lines inside the shapes with a sepia fine liner to add the texture of the corn leaves. 


Then I apply a first wash with yellow ochre and added some burnt Sienna in the shaded areas while still wet.


Then added some purple blue dark for contrast.


Then I painted the shadow in purple.


I edited the final sketch to add a little bit of photoshop drama. Your pick.
Pen&ink, fineliner and  finetec watercolor on Pentalic Watercolor Journal 7" x 10"
Wondering if they they tasted good? Yes! And not only that. I could smell and taste a smokey flavor. These tamales were probably cooked with wood fire. Mmmmh mh!
Click here for the next post about Chiapas.

No comments:

Post a Comment