Food recipes

Sunday, January 12, 2020

The Calvary Chapel.

Pen&ink and watercolor on Legion Stonehenge Aqua 10”x 7”

Painted in red, the Calvary Chapel is a small chapel but very old. It is in a very busy street. The buses of public transportation have to drive uphill in low gear. The fumes were part of the sketching experience, in fact I could see dust from the pollution falling on the white pages of my sketchbook but what could I do? It was the perfect view. I cleared the dust swiping it with the back of my hand multiple times, sketch, swipe, repeat. A smart person wouldn’t seat there in first place, specially when buses pass by very often, but we are sketchers and we have to do what we have to do if we want to sketch on location. Eventually, I finished the lines of a sketch I liked a lot, it was all worth it. Those signs on both sides of the door of the yellow house are signs with the names of the streets. To the left and downhill is San Francisco St. and to the right and uphill is Calvario St, same as the name of the chapel.

I headed back to my place where I colored it with watercolor,  I do enjoy doing it indoors. The values came out very saturated overall, something I don’t dislike. The building on the right was more like a dark blood earthy color, but while trying to reproduce it mixing DS Quinachridone Rose and WN Winsor Green Yellow Shade, this dark aubergine hue came out. Not only I liked it better, this coolish eggplant color also helped to contrast the warm yellow and red. Isn’t lovely? 

Here are some photos about this chapel, information displayed on an board located next to the chapel.


No comments:

Post a Comment