Food recipes

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A night scene.

Pen&ink and watercolor on HP Legion Stonehenge Aqua 10” x 7”
Since I’m trapped in my bedroom in San Miguel de Allende while I recover from a cold, I watercolored the Catedral Metropolitana de San Luis Potosí today, the city I visited last December. It’s a night scene that I thought about doing for a while. I applied masking fluid to the skyline over the first paint washes, but I learned hot press watercolor paper is more sensitive to abuse than cold press. I teared some paper at the begging of the removal of the masking fluid, then continued very  carefully. Still the masking fluid removed some of the paint. I will avoid the use of masking fluid on hot press paper. The sketch looks ok, it’s a sketch after all, and I’m learning my ways with the different brands of hot press paper of my handmade sketchbook. The stars were made with gouache paint, not splattered but painted one by one. I liked the ink line of this sketch, but I liked this night scene much better; I don’t make many, I can count them with the fingers of my hand. So I’m glad I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment