Food recipes

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Plaza Morelos, Morelia.

Plaza Morelos is a great open space which honors one the heroes of the Mexican Independence War, Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon. Morelos was born here, in this city. The city was called Valladolid in the past, but was changed to Morelia, to honor the national heroe Morelos. I wanted to sketch the whole space, not only the monument. I used a 8 x 16 inches sketchbook and started with pencil to keep proportions right, I could erase if I made mistakes. Then it happened that I couldn't stop. I went on and on until I had so much detail that I knew it was going to be confusing for me later. I retraced with ink over pencil and had to make decisions about what to keep and what to let go. When I though the inked sketch made all sense, I erased all the pencil traces. I don't know if I made a mistake or not, it's like erasing the sketching bones, which makes the sketch more interesting to the viewer.... I think. Oh well. It is what it is. Then I watercolor it at home. How can you lie about the perfectly blue sky, I wish there were some clouds to add interest, but I swear, the blue skies here are just perfect, it may be boring to the viewer but I want to stay true to what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment