Food recipes

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Learning to make paste paper

 I’ve never heard of paste paper before. With a few online tutorial videos I thought this creative project could be fun. I used what I had at hand, copy and stock paper, corn starch and acrylic paint, the one is used for crafts.

First I made the paste of corn starch in water 1:10. Let it cool, it was a little warm when I used, and added about 1 to 2 teaspoons of acrylic paint to ¾ cup of mix. 

I submerged the paper to wet it, removed the excess of water with a sponge helping to smooth the paper on a flat surface and to remove any trapped bubbles. Then an even layer of paste was applied with a wide brush. The patterns were made with my fingers and a cut plastic fork. I had to be very careful to transfer the copy paper from my working table to the drying surface, I ripped some corners, so I used a small spatula to pick them up carefully. The card stock was easier to handle. Here’s what I got.










I applied applied a layer of varnish Liquitex on both sides of sample of paste paper made with copy paper. I wanted to test how it behaves for bookbinding projects. It’s manageable, it glues well, but it’s still delicate. I think this paper can be used as end paper for bookbinding or for books you don’t care if they damage with use.

Here’s a sample of varnished paper glued to a board. 

I don’t know if I liked making paste paper, it’s a bit messy, but it was fun to experience something new to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment