Food recipes

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Bare minimal sketching kit

 


I don’t know you my fellow sketchers, but over the years, I’m sure we are all in the same boat when I say that we have tried different sketching materials for multiple reasons. After having used a fair number of sketchbooks, watercolor palettes, pens and other goodies, my ultimate goal is to reduce my sketching gear to the bare minimal, the “to go” kit. Yes, I’m still looking to reach that point, after many years of sketching. My hopes are high to see if this will be it. 

One of the last sketchbooks I tried was the Hahnemühle A6 100% cotton. This sketchbook is bigger that other A6 popular sketchbook brands. I loved the size. I filled this sketchbook faster that others that I haven’t finished and started first!


So I made lay flat binding sketchbooks like the Hahnemühle size with material that I had at home. I used Japanese book cloth and paper, 0.06 board, Hot Press Stonehenge Aqua watercolor paper. The sketchbooks have 20 sheets or 40 pages. I rounded the corners also.

This beautiful Japanese paper is supposed to be resistant to wearing. I used a plastic cover to protect previous sketchbooks made with this very same paper, but I didn’t want to do the same for these new ones. Soooo, I copied the Midori  (Traveler’s Notebook) system to protect the new sketchbook and carry it comfortably and made it to this specific size. I cut a piece of leather, sealed some plastic to hold the slim palette and plan to carry one line maker (either pencil or pen) and a water brush, that’s it.

This is how it looks. I hope this is it. 😉








No comments:

Post a Comment