Food recipes

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Two in One, Plainfield

Magic FX Koh-I-Noor color pencil on Leuchtturm1917
Two images ended up in the same page as one sketch today. One from an unfinished sketch of a woman waiting in the doctors office and the other one of a car. 
We found ourselves in the middle of the Cruise Night Show Car in Downtown Plainfield right after the visit to the doctor. Bill, the owner of this cute car Trabant, took the time to talk to us about his green car. This is a car made in East Germany. The production started after the WW II, he bought it there but cost him almost double to ship it to the United States. It is such a cute car, that reminded me I had a sketchbook and color pencil in my purse, so I sketched it over the unfinished sketch of the woman I did earlier today, I think it would look nice. Bill told me this car was not popular in Germany because it reminded Germans the painful time in which the country was divided by the wall. East Germany built cars with whatever materials they had available at that time. It turns out the car's body is made of cotton (!) and resin. Bill shared that and another curious facts, like painted green was considered for good luck. He encouraged us to look for Trabant online to find other interesting stories.  At the end of our short conversation I asked him if I could take a photo of him, the sketch and his car. He politely accepted and I did the same for him.  It was an interesting and fun afternoon. Having a sketchbook handy always bring nice surprises. Nice to meet you Bill!



No comments:

Post a Comment