Food recipes

Saturday, October 2, 2021

Library of Congress

Pen&ink and Sepia watercolor on HP watercolor paper 10 in x 7 in 

 It was our last day in Washington DC. First we visited the Library of Congress. This drawing doesn’t make it any justice. The building is very beautiful, it’s necessary to walk all around the different levels to truly appreciate its beauty. I chose this view because I spotted someone with a huge camera and lens, it  looked like a photographer who knew what it was doing, or at least it looked like someone who takes it s shots seriously, ha! Regardless, as soon as this person left the spot I stood there. It was one of the best spots I saw in the building. There are other spectacular areas like the actual round library under the huge dome and the Jefferson Library. 

I found this mosaic work on the ceiling of the ground floor related to art.


There were multiple screens where people can approach and ask questions to volunteers via live streaming, how cool!


Although the ground floor is not shown in the sketch, I liked that I could see the golden letters that reads the name of the place, the stain glass ceiling, the arches and painted ceiling of the second floor, the stairway and the bronze statues framing the access to the second floor. 

I completely went crazy with the line work, I loved it, so relaxing for a rainy evening. I did it first with a red pencil very loosely to get the perspective right followed by fountain pen.


The light was diffused, I had to put a thought about how to paint the light. At the end, since the drawing had so much detail, I went monochromatic to simplify the paint. I loved the time doing it, a great memory of a fantastic place. 

Question, can you spot the frase “Library of Congress” and the only person in the paint?

4 comments:

  1. Adriana, this is beautiful. What a treat to the eye! Yes, I saw "Library of Congress" above a doorway, and after searching, a figure at the far corner in a lighted doorway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa, and thanks again for taking the time to look for those two objects. You are correct in both, even though the human figure looks nothing like it, you got it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, so beautifully done in monochrome! The foreground figure set the tone right and it was just superbly rendered.

    ReplyDelete