Food recipes

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

A stairway.

Pen&ink and watercolor on HP Arches watercolor paper 10” x 7”
This stairway is in an old building here in San Miguel de Allende. The facilities were built in 1946 and little has changed since then, I was told. I LOVE the charm of old buildings. Many places are built to look old but in this place you breath old, don’t get me wrong, everything is functional and clean. It was hard to render the old surfaces in paper, the steps and the wall mainly. My approach was to use a mop brush almost dry and drag it randomly on the paper, also I thought some ink dots made with a pen here and there would help for this effect. The bench is made of concrete or perhaps red brick and it’s covered with blue tile. It’s cute but it’s cold if you sit! Ha! This area is quiet and away from crowds. I could easily remember this corner but certainly there’s space for it in my sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment