Food recipes

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Donuts, anytime.

Pen&Ink and watercolor on Legion Stonehenge Aqua HP 140 10"x 7"
Homecuts Donuts is a bakery located in Joliet. It is quite popular in the area and they are the best in Will County.  It's true. We sat indoors to enjoy donuts and coffee this evening, the amount of people who come is constant, boxes of donuts fly out the store (and the shelves are constantly restocked). They are open 24/7, all year. At midnight, it's police men who come for coffee. Yes, we have been here at midnight. Haven't you ever had the urge to savor a flavor you know even in the middle of the night? 

They have been featured on tv, and they have been here for so many years. No doubt they will be open for many years more. Cheers to that!  I sketched a toasted coconut donut after I had one first! I wrote the flavors available that I could read from my seat in my sketchbook. It’s the second time I sketch here. I sketched the exterior back in 2016. Wonderful place.

I used the Stonehenge Aqua Hot Press paper  in my handmade sketchbook. The pen glides beautifully on the smooth paper, the ink dries fast and it doesn't bleed. I applied watercolor paint and this time, the drying time was average like any other watercolor paper 100% cotton, I didn't notice a significant difference. I didn't use heavy washes, for me it's not practical on location. The watercolor paint remains bright, even though this paper is natural white. I'm very happy with my choice of paper for this sketchbook. It's affordable and performs very well for my style, lines and details. I still have to try the Lanaquarelle HP  which I have never used, and remember how Arches HP performs, it's been a while. It's an idea for another post.




No comments:

Post a Comment