Food recipes

Monday, March 18, 2019

Far away and close up cathedral

I met with Nadia Samarina for a second time last Saturday. I really have fun meeting with her to sketch together, we share the joy of sketching on location as many of you do, I'm sure. I arrived early to the location we agreed, while I waited for her I did a quick small sketch of the Cathedral of San Luis Potosi viewed from Madero Street. 
Sepia Fineliner and watercolor on Moleskine Watercolor Journal 3.5" x 5.5"

Then we walked on the same street towards downtown and chose a spot where to sit randomly at the Plaza de Armas, the pedestrian square at the very center of the city, where I had the same view of the Cathedral but up closer. I couldn't figure out what church the two domes on the right of the sketch belong to, there are so many churches in downtown, one on each square, and the squares are literally one block apart. It turns out it is Iglesia del Carmen. Another beauty. It's amazing how different two sketches came out, with the same view on the same street but at different distances!
Sepia Fineliner and watercolor on Handbook Watercolor Journal 8" x 8"

Nadia Samarina makes terrific sketches and she is very prolific! While I made the sketch above, just ink (I added watercolor later), she finished three sketches! Well I hope we meet again. It's nice to find a pal sketcher in this beautiful city, which according to the newspaper Proceso dated on March 7th 2018, I quote: "The Historic Center of the city of San Luis Potosí received the certificate that accredits it as World Heritage, by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), which granted the declaration in 2010"......and I didn't know! Fabulous!



No comments:

Post a Comment