Food recipes

Friday, September 7, 2018

Gouache trees.

Gouache and watercolor pencil on Bristol 11" x 14"
The idea of getting familiar with a new media is intimidating to me. And we know that the more you practice the more you know how it behaves. It will take me time to master for sure, but after this result I feel hopeful. These is a good variety of trees in my backyard and on a rainy day like today, I thought this would be a good time to practice gouache from  the comfort of my couch. Drawing trees are very forgiven, you can play with lines and textures and it still looks like a tree, but making them look interesting is the real challenge. I wish I made darker greens for the pine trees, but the trees looked more or less in the same value today and that's how I put it on paper. Speaking of paper, I used Smooth Bristol 100 lb instead of watercolor paper because it was the only paper I had large enough to work with gouache. I noticed it takes longer to dry, but time is not an issue when I'm at home. I used the hairdryer anyway. Bristol works for gouache, I find it suitable although it buckles a little. The bright colors and graphic look are lovely. I don't know if I will take gouache to sketch outdoors. I need a lot of water to rinse the paint off the brushes. We'll see, it is, however, a promising media to keep in my studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment