Food recipes

Monday, September 10, 2018

CAPA Historic Homes of Joliet

Prarie Style House in Wester Avenue, Joliet, IL
Pen, Ink and Watercolor on Hahnemuhle Sketch&Note Booklet A6

CAPA stands for Cathedral Area Preservation Area, it's a Joliet non profit neighborhood organization to help preserve the historic homes in that area. This organization plans an event called This Olde Housewalk every other year, in which 5 or 6 homes are selected at a time opened to the general public. I attended this event for the first time. I don't know how these owners can deal with hundreds of strange visitors passing through every single room of their houses, stepping into rugs, touching the walls, etc. Well, I'm glad they are OK with this, otherwise we couldn't see beautiful restored home and others in the process of restoration. It is a unique opportunity to admire the surviving homes with several architectural styles built in the United Sates from the mid 1800's to the early 1900's. Joliet was a wealthy town during and after the Industrial Revolution. A good number of houses are beautiful examples of pure or blend styles like Italianate, Queen Ann, Classic, Tudor, Prairie among others.  The first home I visited is the sketch above. I sketched the house after I visited it; the last home I visited is the next sketch, I sketched it while waiting to enter the house. I'd like to share the link of an interesting book about houses in this area if you are a Joliet resident and/or you would like to get it. It's titled Historic Impressions, The history and Architecture of Joliet Homes by P. Seth Magosky, I have it and it's fascinating. 
The tour was interesting and the day was fun.

Tudor Style House in West Acres Rd. Joliet, IL
Pen, Ink and Watercolor on Hahnemuhle Sketch&Note Booklet A6

1 comment:

  1. Having lived on Mayfield Ave., near Larkin, and passing Joliet Herald on Taylor, trying to recall W. Acres St. Enjoyed catching up on all your wonderful art . Mark T.

    ReplyDelete