Food recipes

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Iconic landmarks of Chicago



What a joy is to meet new and old Urban Sketchers friends! We met at a major art materials store yesterday. After a brief introduction leaded by our administrators, we headed outdoor to sketch Chicago. My first sketch was the clock of Marshall Fields, here below.




I always wanted to sketch this clock of what was an upscale store on State St. and Washington St; a beloved iconic landmark here in Chicago. A street drum player sit next to me. I was willing to overlook his rhythmical but loud sound, until an spectator stood next to him for good 15 minutes and started to smoke. I wouldn't care if it wasn't because I was smelling the smoke, so I said to my self, that's it. I left. I didn't like where this sketch was going to anyway. This confirm my theory that if I am uncomfortable it shows in the sketch. I moved one block North on State St. to the Chicago theater. Many of us sketched this landmark as well. It will be a popular spot for the visitors of the 8th International Urban Sketchers Symposium. Chicago is honored to be the host next year! I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment