Food recipes

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Sanctuary of Atotonilco


This was one of some pen and ink sketches that I have left behind and that I colored today. It was done 16 months ago during my visit to several towns of the state of Guanajuato last year. This little town is Atotonilco, 280 km NW of Mexico city. Some locals from the town of San Miguel de Allende told us we should come here. So we did, and I knew why as soon as I stepped inside the Sanctuary. The frescos all over the walls and ceilings are amazing.  It is locally know as the Mexican Sistine Chapel. It looks indeed like it, but this is one reloaded. We were told by the tour guide that the frescos are passages of the Bible and were painted in the church not only as a decorative motif, but as a tool to teach the Bible to the illiterate locals. It was a nice surprise to see this wonder in one of the hidden corners of my beloved Mexico.

Fresco in the Sanctuary of Atotonilco's dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment