Food recipes

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Ireland Part 2. Sketching the Atlantic Way Workshop in Kinvara by Róisín Curé

A red hair woman came through the door of the restaurant, it was Róisín Curé. We met and greeted. Her very welcoming, cheerful and happy personality took us through the schedule of the Worshop in Kinvara: Sketching the Wild Atlantic Way. I came here enchanted by the sketches and stories she had written and I’ve read. Such detailed narrations of her surroundings made me wanted to come here and see it myself. I wasn't disappointed, in fact it exceeded my expectations.  I was truly thrilled to be here. The Wild Atlantic Way is a term created recently by the Irish government to advertise the scenic West side of the island. We had a wonderful dinner, we ate fresh seafood straight from the Atlantic Ocean. Later that night, Róisín took us to Connolly’s bar, where traditional Irish music was playing that night by a band of musicians formed by 4 violins, a guitar and an accordion. Róisín took her sketchbook out, I was about to witness an artist in action,soon after, I joined her. The lights were dimmed to create an ambiance intimate and cozy. The people there respectfully listened to the music that I, so eagerly, was looking forward to listening to.  I was so immersed in this Irish dream that I left my drink untouched.


A5 Moleskine, pen, ink and watercolor.


The tide was high next morning, we arrived to the outdoors of the Dunguaire Castle which is few minutes walking from Kinvara. Róisín made a demonstration of tone and value. I watched how she draw the clouds and water that mesmerized me for so long. The wind was strong but we were prepared for the weather. I have to say that this composition was Róisín's. I made my best effort to apply what I learned. I would say it was an improvement compared to my last sketch of clouds in my last post!



A4 Moleskine, pen, ink and watercolor.

At lunch, this view of a typical house in the area was the view through the window of the restaurant.


A5 Moleskine, pan, ink and watercolor.

Later that day Róisín drove us through the green country fields of the area to arrive to Killenaran Quay in Ballindereen. The tide was low and the boats were tilted on the side, placed like that randomly and whimsically by nature. I found a place to protect myself from the wind on the steps of the quay's wall. Behind me, I saw far away some man collecting the first oysters of the season. We were experiencing the best places of the area, carefully chosen and organized by Róisín, it was truly once in a life time opportunity. 


A4 Moleskine spread, pen, ink, watercolor.

Later that night, at Moran’s on the Weir Restaurant, I had the opportunity to taste those oysters nicely presented over a bed of fresh seaweed, a flavor I craved for almost a year since I read that post about oysters written by the very talented Róisín. I regretted I didn't sketched them, they went straight to my mouth, I couldn't wait! Yes, that's my long relationship with food. The round oysters native of the area were an explosion of flavors of the Atlantic Ocean in my mouth. You can read more about Oyster's Festival here. Click here to read part 3.







2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written again Adriana. I love what you did with the boats, great colour. I am very drawn to the wet sand under the blue on to the left - it's just right. And I love the green and white one, which I've drawn umpteen times - it's so cool to see someone else draw it for a change! The whole thing makes me want to get out there at low tide and get stuck in (to the painting, not the mud). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much for taking us there Roisin, you are an excellent teacher, and thanks for helping me to sketch the mud and those reflections in the water, it was overwhelming at that time and your directions made go through this one. XA

      Delete