Food recipes

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Watercolor charts, is it worth it?

As a continuation of my previous post, I want to share with you the watercolor charts I have made. If you read my last post, I've been using Daniel Smith watercolors for the last 6 months. I was curious to see how many colors could I get out of it. I wasn't a fan of these charts because they are, in fact, time consuming, but on the bright side, it really helps to understand how the watercolor paint behaves and what are the results of mixing colors in different ratios. Also on a side note, the process of building your chart is kind of therapeutic. I found out that I really don't go back to look at them often, it is the process of building one that gives the knowledge, it is during the making of it when you learn. I  learned that some combinations makes surprisingly dark colors, or it creates a new favorite color, or you don't have to buy a sophisticated color paint when you can create it yourself!

If you would like to see a chart and learned from it, you would be missing the learning process of building one, that's why I would encourage you to do one for new paint colors, a new brand name, if you want go basic primary colors or do one with your favorite colors, you sure you will make most of your watercolor paint. I promise.

I used two ratios for each pair of colors, trying to keep it close to 1:3 and 3:1. Here I show two charts, artist grade.
Colors included in a travel set


Colors included in the essential set

I knew that the friendly budget Cotman watercolors (student grade from W&N) were good, look for yourself!

If you make or have a watercolor chart I would like to know! Feel free to leave your experience in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment