Food recipes

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Seattle Part 5 of 6. Black and white Victoria

My husband and I decided to make a day trip to Victoria, B.C. Early morning we took the Victoria Clipper at Pier 69 in Seattle. This catamaran makes 3 hours at 30 miles, it's very steady for the water at Puget Sound, it can be rough, but we had a smooth ride in our way there. We were already on our seats at 7:00 am but the departure was scheduled at 7:30 am so I had 30 minutes to sketch the view out of my window. 



It was cloudy in Victoria, our sunny days luck were over. We took the hop-on hop-off bus. Although I was tempted to stop and sketch the neighborhoods and villas in Victoria, I didn't have a lot of time so  I chose to focus in the Inner Harbor. It was drizzling, but I found a tree and managed to stay dry and sketch comfortably....on the floor....go figure.



My A5 size sketchbook asked for a Extra Fine nib to do all the detail I wanted to sketch from this building. The pen I used was filled with non water proof ink. It's ironic that I chose to use it in a rainy day, but I went ahead anyway. After I was done with this one, we noticed people were getting inside the Parliament Buildings trough one of the side doors. We followed the crowd and it turned out they were giving free tours. It was very interesting. I learned that the main gate is only open for the Queen and heads of state. I really liked the door knobs. They had BC engraved, for British Columbia I guess. 



Once outside, I sat in the fountain right in front of the Parliament main gate and started to sketch the Empress Hotel. There was no shelter from the rain, so some drop spots can be seen in the sketches. I loved it, I brought with me not only sketches but the rain from beautiful Victoria. Click here for part 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment